Friday, April 6, 2012

Things Kids Notice

My kids and I have a morning playlist.  We drive 25 minutes to school - so its a good time to visit and listen to music that gets our hearts and our minds focused on God.  This also puts us all in good moods. Well, I guess it has rubbed off.  I had a student ask me in 4th period yesterday right as class was starting "Do you like your job?" I thought this was odd and a little random. I said "Yes, most days, why?"  She said "you're always just so happy.  I couldn't be that way if I was a teacher." This was the best compliment any student could have given me.  That means that she's noticed something different in me - that's exactly what I want. For my students to see that I act and react differently, that there is something in me that not a lot of others let out. I want them to see the joy of Christ without me "preaching" to them.  Our preacher once said "Some of the greatest sermons are those without words!"  How true!

On another note, Rileyn and I are having conversations lately that I didn't think would happen for another 10 years or so.  I have a burning passion for young girls to know that having a boyfriend does not need to be what defines them.  I could write on this topic ALL DAY but I'll save this for later :)  for now though, I was talking to her about "crushes" and how it will be ok NOT to have a boyfriend but to go out with lots of friends, guys and girls.  That she needs to be careful with words like "I love you" so on and so on.  I told her how special her husband would feel if she were able to tell him that besides her daddy he's the only man/boy that she has told those words to.  When I finished, she asked "Were you popular in school?"  I said "what do you think"  and her reply "No, probably not."  Really.  That's what she got out of that?  Are you kidding me?  Well, I then continued with it's ok not to be popular and really its not that important and how that being a Christian doesn't always mean doing the popular thing or being popular.  I just hope some of it sinks in.  My goal - to have her completely brainwashed by the time she's 16 :) HEHE!

Have a fantastic Easter weekend - Because He Lives!!!

1 comment:

  1. poor E & E are tortured with 2 different playlists:_) they were singing something yesterday about a 'tall drink of water' and then break dancing to Toby Mac :)

    happy Easter to you and yours too!!!

    ReplyDelete