Sunday, September 23, 2012

Starts and Ends...

Our move to Avinger has been a little frustrating...not in the school, but in the response we get from people when they find out where I am teaching and that my kids go to school there.  I really don't like the looks people give me and its starting to annoy :)...

Avinger is tiny...120 kids in the entire school...my class sizes are 12, 9 and 7 and I love it!  It is so manageable and they get all my attention, as opposed to having 22 in class and only dealing with the toots.  My kids are doing work that is challenging and they are in a small school environment where I can walk down the hallway or into the gym and I get to see them...EVERYDAY!  The people are friendly and accepting.  Yes, they are behind the times a little but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing (watch today's media or entertainment and you'll know what I am talking about).

When people judge or make faces it makes me more determined to put that school on the map!  Kind of like when I had certain teachers in high school ask me why I was in an honors class...I so want to prove people wrong...I'm sure that comes from my father :)

David and I STRONGLY believe education starts and ends at home.   Even as a teacher, I can't teach every kid everything they need to know in the 45 minutes I have them.  Parents have to help some too and that's what we do.  Our kids will be smart because of:
1. what God has blessed them with
2.  what we talk about, watch and listen to
3. what we expose them to (travel, etc)
4. what our expectations of them are (not going to college is not an option..even if they were to be drafted by a profession team of some sort, college would still be on the list for them)

I've seen kids at the "best" schools who are idiots (in more than one way) and I've seen kids come out of not so great schools who end up being neurosurgeons...so you tell me - where do they get it?

I have never made a single decision about where me or my kids would go to school without prayer.  God has been faithful in guiding us each and every step and we don't regret a single place we have been to.  We have made not just friends but family in these schools and lasting memories.  Is it hard sometimes to start over..yes of course...but we adjust and adjust well.

So, if you are reading this and you have made a face - please know that I noticed and that I am asking you to please not judge us any more.  We like Avinger!  We plan to stay at Avinger for a while!  We plan to put Avinger back on the map!

If you are reading this and you haven't judged, than thank you!

Have a great week!  God is good...all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment