Saturday, September 8, 2012

Snakes in the building

This week was a first for me.  As my class and I were  coming back from the library, we stumbled upon a guest in our school that did not belong...a snake.  He was headed into MY CLASSROOM!  A student accidentally kicked it and that's how we discovered it.  Well, needless to say, we were on a mission to get rid of it.  I got the teacher across the hall out of her room and then we decided the AG teacher would be the best person for the job, seeing as how he has tools and such.  One of my students ran, and I mean ran, to get him.  We kept the snake corralled while we waited.  And then here he came, Mr. Watson, with shovel in hand.  He ever so gently and calmly began scooping the snake towards the door.  He wasn't trying to kill it or hurt it just get it out.  Well, when we got to the door, the snake did not want to go outside (I guess bc it is so hot) and he started to put up a fight.  Mr. Watson had to do the inevitable....kill that snake, chopped it right in half.  That was a beautiful moment for me because I HATE SNAKES!  The entire time he was scooping it I was whispering in his ear, kill it, just kill it, kill it please.

The next day, the kids found two more in the surrounding buildings.  Luckily, I was not near them nor did I see them.  The beauty of working in a small country school.

Anyway, this got me thinking.  This is kind of like our lives.  The snake enters, tries to go un-noticed.  Once we realize he's there we try to shoo him away, taking baby steps to eliminate the problem.  But you know what...sometimes....you just have to cut that snake in half and kill it!

I've recently learned, not that I didn't already know - but I guess just assumed it would happen to other people - not my family - you all know that feeling - that Satan will attack in ways you never thought possible.  Be prepared...all the time...shovel in hand!

1 comment: