Thursday, March 24, 2011

Love Wins....

Lately, I have been very concerned about the teachings of a new "preacher" Rob Bell.  Oh, he seems to be a super nice and sweet man, however, I'm not sure he has actually READ the Bible.  He has two books out and his latest one is called Love Wins.  There is a video of him promoting this book if you'd like to see it.  I have not read it, but from what I have read and have seen (articles from CNN and the video) I get that the basic essence of what he is saying is that God isn't really going to send people to hell.  That even if you don't believe in him and aren't baptized but you are a "good" person, he's not really going to send to you a place where you burn forever.  That earth is our hell and that everyone will go to heaven.  SO, I am intrigued (about what this guy is really teaching), concerned (that many people will believe what he is saying), worried (that people want the "easy to swallow" sermons....see my sisters blog for that).  Then this morning, I was doing my Max Lucado devotional and this is what it read....

The Standard
We are made holy through the sacrifice Christ made in his body once and for all time. Hebrews 10:10

Only the holy will see God.  Holiness is a prerequisite to heaven.  Perfection is a requirement for eternity.  We wish it weren't so.  We act like it isn't so.  We act like those who are "decent" will see God.  We suggest that those who try hard will see God. We act as if we're good if we never do anything too bad. And that goodness is enough to qualify us for heaven.
Sounds right to us, but it doesn't sound right to God. And he sets the standard.  And the standard is high.  "You must be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect" (Matt 5:48)
You see, in God's plan, God is the standard for perfection.  We don't compare ourselves to others; they are just as fouled up as we are.  The goal is to be like him; anything less is inadequate.  (He Still Moves Stones)

When I read this, I wanted to say TAKE THAT ROB BELL!!!  It is very scary for our society that a man, a false teacher, is becoming so popular and being taught in our churches!!!  It makes me more determined than ever to teach my own children the WORD of God, that was breathed onto the pages.  To let them know that no, there is not a fast food, easy to swallow version of the Bible.  And to be cautious of those who claim to be teaching God's word and to have discernment and wisdom.... for them and for me!

3 comments:

  1. A little fired up aren't we? Good! You should be! For you and for them:) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew!!! go get 'em - man you got me all fired up, again - and i have been fired up for a couple weeks - great post and how awesome that the devotional you read called it out so clearly - we have to be alert and watchful - and completely plugged in to His Word

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I shared yours and Rhonda's post with my kids today. We looked up the scripture that backs up why hell is real. Very good study!! We have some friends that do not believe in hell but believe all else that the Bible says. I shared that with the kids also so that if it comes up in conversation with their kids they can back up their own beliefs with Scripture. Thanks for opening our eyes!

    ReplyDelete